The Scottish Rite Temple was started in 1909 and completed in 1912. The Scottish Rite Temple was also know as the “pink cathedral” at the corner of Paseo de Peralta and Washington Avenue is a hulking edifice with a footprint of nearly 45,000 square feet. A standout amid Territorial and Pueblo-style buildings still standing downtown, it was erected in 1912 in the Moorish architectural style, with some features patterned from the Alhambra castle in Granada, Spain.
Masonic organizations like Scottish Rite peaked in popularity here after World War II, when more than 4,000 men were members.
|Title||Scottish Rite Masonic Temple under construction, Santa Fe, New Mexico|